When making the decision to report a crime of sexual abuse or sexual assault, the victim may experience a number of feelings, scared, confused, angry, hurt, or even relief to name a few.
SART (Sexual Assault Response Team) Coordinator focuses on allowing the victim of sexual assault to have a consistent person involved with support and understanding throughout the criminal justice process. As the case moves through the legal system from reporting to going to court the victim could meet a number of different people. The SART Coordinator allows the victim the piece of mind in knowing that someone he or she has already met, will be there along the way could help ease some of the feelings that may be experienced.
The SART Coordinator has worked together with health care providers that have been trained to be SAFE (Sexual Assault Forensic Examiners), law enforcement, prosecuting attorney’s, and probation officers. These players formed the Project Response Team in order create an approach that would better meet the needs of survivors when they may be having such feelings.
The SART Coordinator would be available to:
- Provide support and accompaniment for survivors during police interviews or other procedure involving law enforcement.
- Accompany and support survivors and support person/s during interaction with the District Attorney’s Office.
- Provide follow up assistance and support as needed.
- Keep survivors up to date on the progress of the investigation.
- Provide survivors and family members with accurate information about the criminal justice system.
- Make referrals to community resources.
- Help survivors file for victim compensation if appropriate
The legal process could take a long time! Survivors could be waiting up to a year after reporting the crime to the police until trial or a plea agreement is reached. The SART Coordinator and/or the SACC 24-hour hotline (1 800 871 7741 (Maine Statewide)) can be with you through all of this! You don’t have to go through this alone!!!!
Auburn Police Department: http://www.auburnmaine.org/
Lewiston Police Department: http://www.lewistonpd.org/
Mechanic Falls Police Department: http://mechanicfalls.govoffice.com/
Lisbon Police Department: http://www.lisbonpd.com/
Sabattus Police Department: http://www.sabattus.org/
Livermore Falls Police Department: http://www.police.lfme.org/
Maine State Police: http://www.state.me.us/
Androscoggin Sheriff Department: http://www.usacops.com/me/s04210/index.html
Sex Offender Registry: http://sor.informe.org/sor/
Victim’s Compensation: http://www.maine.gov/ag/crime/victims_compensation/index.shtml